How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AssuredElectrical Your Own Question
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4241
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
AssuredElectrical is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have bought triphosphor tubes,to replace old fluorescent

Customer Question

I have bought triphosphor tubes,to replace old fluorescent ones.The sixfeet 1960 units don't have starters.The new tubes wont work in the old units.Do i need to replace these with moden ones.Would Thorn pop pack original fluoresent battens,Or Viper HF fittings do.
Many Thanks *****
My E Mail Address ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Hi Terry,

It sounds as though you have purchased what is referenced as T8 lamps, where your older ones are T12.

The difference is the diameters and also the makeup internally.

Your old lamps use a completely different ballast in the fixture to ignite the gas than do the newer T8 energy savers.

You either need to get the original T12 lamps to use or you will have to change out the ballast inside the light fixture to operate the new lamps.

If you wish to endeavor into the new ballast change and wiring of the tube sockets, post the information on how many lamps in the fixture and your old ballast make and model so that a new one can be found to fit the fixture.

Let me know and we can continue to get you operating once again.


Related Electrical Questions