Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Lines here.
, Installing a ceiling fan, have a Q

Customer Question
Good afternoon. *****...

Good afternoon. ***** ***** Lines here.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Installing a ceiling fan, have a Q regarding wiring. Scenerio is as follows: was originally standard light, controled by two light switches in two separate rooms. (two doors to the office). I have reinforced the ceiling box, and have the fan installed. The fan is one that is operated by remote only. The remote actually replaces the light switch. The schema states to take the black and connect to black, and the ground to the insertable new light controls that will replace the actual switch. ie the fan will be 'hot' but operatable via the remote only I am planning on just NOT ever using one of the two light switches. The Q is specifically on the one light switch where I am swapping out the existing switch, wired the black on black, and ground to my new box... my Q is specific to a red wire that also existed due to the two light switches running the same box in the ceiling. The ceiling box was only black.white.ground. Not multiple - which is fine for the ceiling fan I have installed.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
My understanding is I may just be capping off the red wire & let it be. Your assistance is appreciated.
2/2/2016
Electrician: Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician replied 2 years ago
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** i would love to help you with your fan :)

Good evening Wayne. Kevin here.
Still have breaker off on the above scenario. What is the verdict with the unexpected red wire in the light switch box?

You have a "3 way" switching set-up here

i am assuming you have done some wire testing, you mentioned having a hot at the fan box..

The three way (including the actual ceiling box) & two light switches seems to cover my scenario. Wiring the black to black was what I referring to as "hot" - although not actually hot til I turn the breaker back on.
The entire ceiling fan operation will be controlled by the "remote" only. The remote, while it will be set into the wall replacing the original switch, is actually battery operated and not connected to the electric (with exception of ground)

this fan, it came with a receiver and a remote? or is this a wall mount switch replacement? As long as you can ensure that the new remote is wired with a constant hot wire to the LINE side and a sure connection to the LOAD wire that would run to the fan/light, this should work. You wont need the "extra" wire in this situation

You are correct as stated above. The receive was part of the fan unit, the remote is a wall mount switch replacement.

what model remote/receiver fan combo you got? ie model #?

My understanding is by taking out existing light switch, and wiring black to black, that should get me the constant hot wire to the line side as you referenced above.
Sounds like my initial understanding of capping the red wire is the solution I am looking for. Correct?

yes, if your goal is to get that hot to the reciever in the fan box..this will bypass the switch

once you have that constant at the new switch (receiver) it will now only work via remote

All indications are fan will be controlled by new wall mount switch replacement that acts as the remote.

dont lose it ;)

its not removable?

Thank you. Just needed the 'reassurance' the red wire at the light switch box is part of the original 3-way. And yes - the remote actually is a wall mount switch replacement that has a battery compartment. I will have to purchase the 'hand-held' remote separately.
ie NOT removable without screwdriver & power off.

ah, well yes, you will have an extra wire..this will be the unused "traveler" in the original 3 way.

so you are bypassing both switches in the 3 way? It sounds like you are just hard wiring the whole way to the receiver.

I assume you are covering the one switch-box with a blank cover, the one without the remote switch..

or are you keeping the old 3 way switch? anyway, i hope this information was helpful :)

I will cap off the 'extra' wire in the one switch I have removed. power things up, sync the remote, and see if things are working.... as for the 2nd switch... I understand your recommendation / best practices of covering it up with blank cover

awesome. I hope you have a great evening!

I have not actually removed the second (now unusable) light switch yet. Should I assume I will find black & red again?

yep, a black red pair and (most likely) a black feed in.

the feed in could be red blue and even white...but you will have a hot wire

to complete the bypassing of both switches in the 3 way, for the unused light switch, black to black, and red to cap/ usless & blank cover for the wall plate. That "cover" it? excuse the pun

sounds pretty good to me :)

I think you will have success..

Appreciate the sounding board. Am I able to wait few minutes and try the above before rating the feedback? It all sounds good to me, response was clear. I understand the approach. All is good.

Yep, thats fine! Let me know how it goes.

PS This is the last time I buy someone else's custom order / returned ceiling fan from the store, even if it was a fraction of the original cost.
My wife was expecting the hand-held remote, the wall mount remote - yet battery operated, threw me as well. :-)
to make your day - I sat on the box waaay to long to even think about returning it. Ah, the infamous 'honey-do' list prevails. Have a good evening. I should be able to report progress shortly.

if you get it working its sounds like a good deal. but if you are gonna put a battery in a switch why not make it removable? some of these manufactures live in alternate universes

you have a good evening too, and be safe.

Wayne. .. update: second light switch only has one primary set red / back / white ground. The first switch had the two lines which allowed me to do the black / black bypass.
My apologies for thinking I was almost done.

ha its all good, just to verify. you said there are only one set of black red white and ground in the second box

that is 4 wires only..

Just found attached on Internet that is similar to what I am seeing. http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electrical/3-way-switch-diagram-5.pdf

yeah, thats what i was thinking when you mentioned only 4 wires the the second box.

Your 4 wires only comment fits the box on the right which is as I described.

well this is super easy, the "hot wire" and the "load wire" are all in box #1

whatever black wire goes to the fan box must splice with the black constant hot wire. All 4 wires associated with the second switch can be removed and capped in box #1

K. So no actual cross color connecting should be needed in box # ***** As long as I can differentiate black constant hot & black fan box feed wire, all should be good.

that yellow square i added is actually a wire nut..

Nice. I have isolated three wire and ground connecting the two switches and removed it from all other connections

awesome

Leaving the incoming hot wire crossed with fan wire. Ok to use wire connector if don't have nut?

as long as it is rated for the wire and will do the job. are you talking about the "stab" or "push in" type?

Push in.(red)

it will work

as long as it grabs and securely holds the wires it should be good

How is the fan working boss?

All wiring appears to be good. Once the remote is synced (during 3 min window at time of power on) fan & light/dimmer both work well - unfortunately it all shuts down after about 90 seconds. Not at the breaker, but at the ceiling fan. Appreciate the assist yesterday. Time to take the issue up with manufacturer.

I would double check the connections in the fan, especially if there is a receiver module that can be moved around within the fans electrical housing..sometimes the antennae needs to be adjusted, no joke

Ran up & down two flights stairs several times last night having to hit the breaker off /on to power up fan for redo of remote initialization during my testing.
Interesting concept. Have not actually uncovered the receiver/ guts of the fan, it was all self contained. May have to check that out tonight.

oh wow, i had a fan doing that cutting on and off after a minute.. i adjusted the antennae and it worked.. i hope i have been helpful :) If you could take a moment to rate me i would appreciate it, this is how my company knows i did my best to help :)

If you can get a model # ***** the fan i can look up the manual..if its coming on then cutting off its most likely a programming issue..second most likely scenario is a loose wire someplace.

R U ok continuing discussion into fan? I do have the model # ***** car. Can grab it during lunch if that is ok.

Yep im here all day take your time :)

Wayne - Good afternoon. (EST). Casablanca Model # ***** Fan & light turning off after 90+seconds. This occurs every time remote pairs successfully with fan. Immediately after pairing the remote both fan speed control & light dimmer works .... all stops at around 3 min of cycling power.
3 min after cycling power.

by "cycling power" does the fan switch speeds and reverse on its own with the lights dimming or turning on and off? Could be a "demonstration mode" in the programming. This manual shows everything. From wiring the fan unit and receiver to the switch and has programming instructions. These switches are really advanced controls..you can program it to do a lot of different things. Also, I would check the batteries in the switch...they may be going.. and lastly the receiver...it could be that part..they go bad quite frequently apparently.

that's the receiver

actually i think thats the whole "kit" with switch..

thats the manufactures owners manual..

Wayne - Thnx for the research and links. While very very similar to the owners manual (42900-01) I have, it was a different version. Mainly my fan does not have a wired wall control W-74 as shown on p. 13. It appears the W on the Manual version in pdf u provided may mean "wired". There is definitely more info in last few pages of pdf than the hardcopy manual I have. Overall, yes that is the fan.
Fyi - started w/a new CR2032 battery for the wall remote switch. Where would the receiver and/or antenna be?
I will not be home to check for another 2 hrs