Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I've had an inverter installed in my van and wired up to a…

Customer Question
I've had an inverter installed...
I've had an inverter installed in my van and wired up to a large battery (separate from my van's battery)to heat the water in the hydro dog bath in my van as I'm driving. The battery it is wired up to is what would be normally used in a mobile home and the inverter is up to 5000 in power. I plugged it in this morning for the first time on my way to wash a dog. Immediately the heater in the van kept clicking on and off. The red light on the inverter was also flickering on and off while the green light remained on. After driving for 10 min the inverter started buzzing so i pulled up and turned it off. The water in the bath had warmed up, ever so slightly. What do you think the problem may be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/1/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What type of battery are you using for the inverter? A Deep Cycle or an automobile type battery?

2) If a Deep Cycle, how many amp hours is the battery? Also what is the voltage of the battery? 12 volts or other?

3) Is the battery wired to the van alternator to provide a constant charge or do you charge the battery separately?

4) How many watts is the hyrdo heater rated for? I assume the inverter is a 240 volt type, is that correct?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Sorry, I will have to opt out of the question as I am located in the States and unable to make international phone calls.

Your question will be placed back to the open board and perhaps another expert can assist you. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up the question. Thanks.

Mike, Master Electrician