Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I need to replace a CFCI. Bought a new one. Pretty straight

Customer Question
I need to replace a...
I need to replace a CFCI. Bought a new one. Pretty straight forward. Line in 3 wires, load out 3 wires. Then I pulled out my old CFCI, circa 1984. Line in 3 wires I think, load out looks like two wires, black and white, coming out of a domes area in the center of the CFCI receptacle. Am I right????
Dave
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What are the LINE and LOAD wire colors on the original GFCI? Black, White and Bare Copper or other wire colors?

2) Any chance that you can take a picture of the original GFCI showing the wire connections and post it here for my review?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The line wires are B,W,C and they are attached to the GFCI at the top of the receptacle in the rear just like a standard receptacle. On the back side of the receptacle, dead center, there is a black and white wire coming out from it that are "hard wired to the unit" and they are then wire jointed to a black and wire wires that travel into the wall.

Thanks for the replies Dave.

1) Any chance you temporarily back the existing GFCI out from the wall box but do not disconnect any wires? I need to see the wire colors and connections on the original GFCI.

Thanks for the pic.

1) I am unable to see all of the wires. Although you mention that the old GFCI had hard wires coming out from the GFCI. Most likely where the hard wires splice into the house wires, this should be the LINE side wires which will connect to the LINE side on the new GFCI.

The other black and white on the old GFCI should be the LOAD side wires and these will connect to the new GFCI LOAD side connection.

Reply back and let me know how you make out..............Thanks..............Kevin:)

1) I forgot to mention about the ground wires. If you have any bare copper or green insulated ground wires in the box, make up a 6" (six inch pigtail) and splice the pigtail to all of the other ground wires inside the wall box. If the circuit breaker is a 15 amp, the pigtail bare copper ground wire needs to be sized as 14 AWG Copper. If a 20 amp breaker, then use 12 AWG copper for the pigtail. Then terminate the 6" pigtail to the green ground screw on the GFCI.

2) The brass screws on the GFCI are for the hot wire termination (black wire) and the silver screws are for the neutral termination (white wire).

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor