Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I just switched out a light switch in a room that had a

Customer Question
ceiling fan. One switch...
I just switched out a light switch in a room that had a ceiling fan. One switch controlled the light on the fan the other controlled the fan. I'm going to a standard light fixture with no fan but I have a dimmer switch. I can't get the light to turn off now that the power is back on
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
1/31/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G nd I'll be assisting you. First thing, you should only have one wire under a screw. If more than one, connect the wired together with a short pigtail wire and connect it to the screw. Multiple wires under a screw will fail the connection and cause arcing which will make repairs more expensive. Yes, you may install a dimmer in place of the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I know which wires to pigtail and what wire goes under the screw?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I didn't have the three wires under the screw, there was NO power to the room at all

Connect all 3 wires together with a short pigtail wire in a wirenut. Connect the other end of the pigtail to the screw. You will continue to have power and it will not fail as having 3 wires under a screw.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok made the pigtail and got it connected. The light works but I can't control the light from the switch it just stays on still. Same issue just now with a pigtail

OK, one of the 3 wires is to the light and needs to be on a switch with an additional pigtail to the same switch from the other wires.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
basically figure out what wire the light is and take that out of pigtail #1. Then take the end of pigtail #1 that is under the screw right now and combine that with wire for the light in pigtail #2 and then put that tail under the screw?

That correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have to go and get some more wire I don't have enough for another pigtail. Thank you for your help. Hope this fixes the issue

Very good, let me know how it went.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What type of wire should I buy?

#14/2 NM. Strip it and you'll have a single #14 to use.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok made the other pigtail and had the same issue with the light just staying on. I tried the grouping of the wires 3 different ways because of the 3 different black wires all had the same result

With all the wires not connected, is the light off? If yes, with your tester from ground to each wire find the hot wire. Now touch that wire to the others to see which wire goes to the light. When found put it on the switch and then connect the remaining wires together with the pigtails to the switches.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a tester, is there a way to do it without one?

Not safely. You should have a tester available anytime you do anything electrical. You can pick up an inexpensive one at any home center for around$10.00. Get one, follow the instructions and let me know how it went.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok did it dangerously and found my live wire. Now my question is what wires do I put together? Should one of the pigtail ends be attached to the actual light switch?

OK, touch it to the other wires one at a time to see which one is the light. Put that wire and a pigtail on a switch. Now connect all pigtails and remaining wires together in a wirenut.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just keeps the light on still. My switch is playing no role in this besides being connect by a pigtail. And the only reason the light is on is because the 2 wires are touching in a wirenut.
Wirenut #1 has live, light, and pigtail coming out to the switch and the and pigtail going to the third wire that has all my outlets on it which equals wirenut #2.

The wire to the light should only be on the switch, not in the wurenut. The pigtail to the switch is where it gets power, depending on the switch position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help, i couldn't get it figured out but you were a great help.

Glad to help, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician