Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm ***** *****, in my basement I installed recessed lights…

Customer Question
Hi I'm ***** *****...

Hi I'm ***** *****, in my basement I installed recessed lights while remodeling after I hooked everything up all the lights worked (12 lights) they worked for 15 months, one day they all went out so I have a dimmer down in the basement that control the lights and a regular switch up stairs after checking things I replaced the dimmer switch and all the lights came on except 5 and they are not in a row any ideas

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

No power getting to 5 cans led bulbs are good

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/30/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to take some voltage measurements at a few of the can light splices?

No

In order to troubleshoot and confirm voltages, you will need an AC voltmeter to determine if a loose hot or a loose neutral connection is causing the problem.

Perhaps you can borrow a meter from a neighbor or a friend? If not, you can purchase a voltmeter similar to the one shown in the link below at any Home Depot or Lowe's for around $25 or even less.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Digital-Multimeter-MT-1210/206304336

ok I will purchase a meter and contact you back

OK, very good. Just reply back to me here at this same question.

I will be logged on the website throughout the weekend and we can take it from there.........Thanks.............Kevin:)