Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I am trying to replace an outlet. There are 2 wires, 2 black

Customer Question

I am trying to replace an outlet. There are 2 white wires, 2 black wires and 1 pink wire. What the heck is the pink wire and where am I supposed to put it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am putting in an outlet with USB charging ports. The old outlet has 2 black wires, 2 white wires and a single pink wire. The new outlet does not have a space for a pink wire.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The red wire generally is to operate 1/2 of the outlet from a switch. There is a metal bridge between the gold screws that is cut to provide independent power to the outlets.