How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kevin Your Own Question
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 3670
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Kevin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fuse based system was upgraded to circuit panel during a

Customer Question

My fuse based system was upgraded to circuit panel during a rewire and goes to grounding rods per current code; done by licensed electricians, with permits and inspection. Electrical circuits for TV, Computer... use. I'm getting Frontier FIOS/fiber that they want to ground to the electrical entrance/meter pole and they have a device NOT (too complicated for me) that needs power from another power/battery backup device inside house at close location. Problem is the inside power supplies end up in the kitchen - ugly. Will grounding to the pole be ok even though the devices use the electrical grounding?
Could they run the fiber cable close to the new electrical grounding and ground to the rods? This way I can have the power supply inside my utility room not so ugly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Per the current National Electrical Code, an intersystem bonding device is required to be installed to bond all exterior communications systems such as telephone, cable TV, satellite TV and internet to the existing grounding electrode system.

2) This will require installing a 6 AWG Copper conductor from the existing ground rods to the intersystem bonding device. The communications equipment will then be bonded (grounded) to the intersystem bonding device located near the exterior ground rods.

See link shown below for an example of an intersystem bonding diagram:

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.