Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am running a 20 amp circuit (12-2) to my shed. The shed…

Customer Question
I am running a 20...
I am running a 20 amp circuit (12-2) to my shed. The shed will have a outdoor light, indoor canned lighting and also recepticles in the shed. I want the main power coming into the shed to go to a disconnect switch first in order to shut off power to the building. From the main disconnect switch I want power to come off and go to a gfci outlet. I also want power to come off the main disconnect switch and go to a switch for the outdoor light and go to the indoor switch. The question I have is how do I connect all of this and is there any special switch I will need for this? thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/29/2016
Electrician: Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician replied 2 years ago
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician

Hello, My Name is ***** ***** I would Love to help you with this issue.

There are a lot of things to consider when undertaking such a task. I am assuming you have the correct wire to feed the shed. I am also assuming the wire will be buried. So thats 12/2 UF wire and the wire is at least 18 inches under grade.

Will you want the disconnect outside or inside the shed?

Are you sure that a 20 A circuit will suffice for your load needs? IE how many lights and receptacles and what do you plan on plugging in?

However the higher amperage you go, the bigger the wire will have to become to meet code requirements and provide a safe electrical system at your home. That's more $.

As far as connecting it all together and suggesting boxes and devices (engineering the shed circuit) I suggest we take it in phases, not only will you be certain you are getting a good service with real time help and results but I will receive proper recompense if we have say 2 phone calls at 15$ each. Once for the planning, and once for troubleshooting/further questions.

I am using conduit 24" down and using THWN wiring in the conduit. I am going to have 4 canned lights, 1 outdoor light and 1 gfci outlet with 1 other outlet daisy chained to the gfci outlet. I am only going to have a tv and small sound system out there. I just need to know how to connect the devices in my earlier question. I plan to have this permitted also.

This is a 3R rated disconnect, 30 A is ok..its always fine to over rate but not under rate. I think a 30 A disconnect would be cost effective simply because they are more common.

3R means you can mount to the exterior of the structure if need be. Is weather rated.

Hmm, i am assuming you have a 20 A double pole breaker feeding two 120 v feeds through the conduit. Whatever disconnect you get has to have a neutral bar, or have the neutral isolated.

No. It is single pole 20 amp circuit. I don't have room for a double
I was thinking more on the line of a regular type switch

That would go over the switch on the pvc box...

This is really easy from that point. In this switch box you pass the neutral through to your first box, the hot wire will go on one terminal of the switch and then you will have a "load" wire that will also serve as a hot wire once the switch is turned on.

by pass the neutral though, i mean you will not make any connections to anything in the main switch for the whole shed. It will pass into the shed to the first box being fed by this switch setup.

I am working on a wiring diagram for you..

If you find this information useful please take a momant to rate me. This is how my company knows i did my best to help :)