Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Can you insulate over a non ic rated recessed light can

Customer Question
housing if you replace existing...
can you insulate over a non ic rated recessed light can housing if you replace existing flouresent bulb with a led retro kit?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/26/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) No, if insulation is placed over a can light, the light must be rated as "IC rated" type. The light bulb type does not matter.

2) If using a "non IC" rated can light, then there must be a minimum of a 3" (three inch) clearance from any insulation and the can light housing. Insulation cannot be placed over the top of a "non-IC" rated can light.

3) Keep in mind that can lights whether "IC" or "non IC" rated have been tested by a third party testing lab such as UL. If not adhering to the correct type of can lighting fixture or maintaining the minimal clearances, this will void the UL listing of the can light and can also present a potential fire hazard.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Within the National Electrical Code (NEC), the recessed luminaire installation requirements specifically mentions LED luminaires in Article 410.116(B). Where LED luminaires are of the recessed type, they must be identified as “Type IC” — or have a clearance of 3 in. from thermal insulation.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor