Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a Rheen model RETE9 instant electric when the heating

Customer Question

I have a Rheen model RETE9 instant electric when the heating elements come on to heat water the florescence lights in the room flicker the the complete time till the element shuts off. It doesn't effect any other lights.We just started to use it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does the hot water heater circuit and the fluorescent lighting circuit both originate from the main electrical panel or do they originate from a sub-panel?

2) What wiring method was used to install the hot water heater and the fluorescent light circuit? Do the circuits reside within a common raceway (conduit) or separate Romex cables? If separate conduits or cables were used, how far apart (distance) are the two circuits from each other along the entire circuit run?

3) I assume the other lights that don't flicker are traditional incandescent light bulbs? Please confirm?

4) Are the fluorescent light fixtures properly grounded?

5) What type of fluorescent lights? Tube type (T5 or T8 or T12 bulbs) or CFL bulbs?

6) Have you replaced any of the fluorescent bulbs or tubes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1The main panel
2 separate romex cable,5 to 6 feet
3 yes
4 yes
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) At anywhere along the two circuit paths and including at the main panel, do the 2 Romex cables ever come into immediate contact with each other or do they enter the same knockout clamp (bundle) at the main panel?

2) Have you replaced any of the fluorescent tubes? Are the fluorescent lights using T5 or T8 or T12 tubes?

Do the bulb types match those required for the ballast?

3) Temporarily turn the hot water heater double pole circuit breaker to the OFF position, do the fluorescent lights still flicker with no power to the water heater?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.The lites will dim then start to flicker.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I'm not understanding your last reply. Are you saying that when the heater circuit breaker is turned OFF, the lights will start dimming and then flicker?