Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Installed a used dishwasher, which i think had a short

Customer Question
installed a used dishwasher...
installed a used dishwasher , which i think had a short because i would get shocked if i touched the plumbing under the sink. within a week the dishwasher has stoped working and the three outlets associated to the loop have stopped working. I have removed the problem dishwasher and first outlet on the loop. I have hot wires but the outlets do not work nor does the old dishwasher i put back in
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
the breaker did not trip , the dishwasher just stopped working same with the outlets
1/25/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to take some voltage measurements?

2) Is there a GFCI receptacle on the same circuit as the dishwasher was plugged into?

3) Is your electrical system properly grounded? Do you have city water with a metal supply pipe coming into the home or PVC pipe for the cold water supply?

4) Do you have copper or metal water supply piping and a metal gas pipe at the hot water heater?

I have a meter
ihave a cent tech digital meter, but i think the battery just went because its not giving me any readings. the recepticle is removed and i do not have a gfci to replace just regular
i think its grounded there is a ground wire
there are three sets of wires coming in the wall, only one is hot
the pluming under the sink next to the dishwasher cabinet is the pvc drain pipes, at times the leak and thats when i was getting shocked, but once i removed the old dishwasher the problem went away. no longer hot under the sink but no power in the outlets

OK, very good.

1) 1st reset the circuit breaker to OFF and then back to the ON position. At the dead receptacles, take the 3 following voltage measurements:

A) Hot (short slot) to Neutral (long slot). Should = approximately 120 volts

B) Hot (short slot) to Ground (round ground hole). Should also = approximately 120 volts

C) Neutral (long slot) to Ground (round ground hole). Should = 0 volts or very close to 0 volts.

Let me know the 3 measurements.

2) Do you have city water with a metal supply pipe coming into the home or PVC pipe for the cold water supply? Is the water meter grounded?

3) Do you have copper or metal water supply piping and a metal gas pipe at the hot water heater?

4) You mentioned that you got shocked when touching the sink plumbing. Shock can only occur on metal plumbing pipes and not on PVC plumbing pipes.

i just paid 16 dollars and nothing is fixed so i do not feel comfortable spending another 18 right now to talk on the phone, if i had the money i might but i do not have the money to spare
what color is hot on the meter red or black

Not sure what you are talking about? I never asked or mentioned anything about a phone call. If you are receiving phone call requests, they are not originating from me. Must be originating from the web site and I have no control over those e-mails.

I will opt out of the question.

sorry , must be the site , it is relentless with pop up adds... and now it says you have referred me to a new electrician , is that true
i paid 16 dollars to get working on the problem i have, now im just sitting here waiting, whats going on why did the first "expert" opt out and why do i not have any help right now???
Electrician: Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician replied 2 years ago
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** i will take over from here. The Black and Red probes will not matter in measuring AC voltage. So, Take measurements as previously instructed and let me know what they read. :)

When you notice the "shock" from the plumbing do you also notice the dishwasher running?

I will not be home till later this afternoon and I will get back with you hopefully I'll be online. I don't live close to a store so is there anything you can anticipate I might need I should buy before I come home

A flathead and philips screwdriver. Voltmeter.

I have those two things! as far as the shocking goes yes it was related to the dishwasher and I always felt like the dishwasher had a short so I removed it and I no longer get shocked actually I tested the countertop and everything around it when the dishwasher is running it was all live ! But now that I've put the old dishwasher working one back in none of the outlets work still and there's no power to the line it seems like or not enough

We will get it figured out :)

😊😎⭐️

this sounds like a loose or lost connection in one of the electrical boxes upstream of the dishwasher and receptacles.

Upstream of the dishwasher take an electrical box out I was just three sets of wires to or not live
Hi Wayne, just got home, changed the batteries in the volt meter, checked bedroom outlet it reads 119 when set on AC 200. I wired a new outlet to the set of wires coming in from the wall. (the ones i thought were hot, becuase my mini meter stick beeps when i touch them) anyway a zero reading. thats where im at with this problem, I go nothing:-(
Mike, Master Electrician