Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Buddy. I have a 20 amp outlet in my closet. the ground wire…

Customer Question
Buddy. I...

Buddy. I have a 20 amp outlet in my closet. the ground wire way arcing on the box. I’ve replaced the outlet, now when I plug in the power strip to it, it doesn’t trip the breaker but does cut off.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Is it because I did not hook up that ground wire?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/24/2016
Electrician: Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician replied 2 years ago
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** i would love to help you with your power strip.

let me get this straight, the breaker is not tripping but the power strip "cuts off"

The outlet cuts off

oh ok, i am assuming it is a standard non-GFCI outlet

sometimes these receptacles are on a switch. Have you verified if the outlet is switched?

It is not on a switch. I put in the new outlet, tested it with my voltmeter. Plugged in the power strip to it. As soon as I turned on my stereo receiver, it cut off

Are you able to read 120v hot to neutral and hot to ground with nothing plugged in to the outlet?

It could be the hot/neutral terminations were reversed.. The hot wire goes on the gold screw and the neutral goes on the silver screw.

The wires are correct, had a test light plugged into it and it worked

Try plugging a lamp into the receptacle, if it works you may have a bad stereo receiver.

Not the receiver, right now the power strip is plugged into a extension cord going to another outlet. Works perfectly

Sounds like a poor termination either in the receptacle itself or somewhere upstream. You are getting 120 V on the multimeter?

It's completely dead right now.

I would look into wherever that receptacle is being fed from. The connections may be faulty there.

You really should attach the bare ground wire to the ground terminal of the receptacle. This is probably why your breaker isnt tripping. That ground wire is necessary for the breaker to trip in alot of conditions.

Planning on doing that

It compromises the safety of your home to just remove the ground.

were you able to find the feed for the receptacle?

Not yet

typically its at the nearest electrical box in the same or adjoining room.