Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I HAVE A GRIZZLY 1HP MOTOR H5379, I WANT TO WIRE A(ON- OFF-

Customer Question
I HAVE A GRIZZLY...

I HAVE A GRIZZLY 1HP MOTOR H5379, I WANT TO WIRE A(ON- OFF- ON) SWITCH TO ENABLE ME TO CHANGE MOTOR DIRECTION. I UNDERSTAND I NEED TO SWITCH WIRE #5 AND#6. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT THROUGH A SWITCH.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

ITS FOR MY SANDER I BUILT

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/24/2016
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

In order to use a motor for both directions, you need to install what is referenced as a reversing drum switch, which is designed with multiple contacts in order flip flop the connections on the motor on the fly.

It isnt possible with any standard switches unfortunately.

I can determine the possible the drum switches that would work and the appropriate wiring diagram.

Let me know and we can continue to get you going

I won't need to switch the motor on the fly ,only after I have switched to the off position first, and after the motor has stopped.
what drum switch do you recommend and what's the wiring diagram for grizzly h5379 1 hp motor?
You recommended the" spring return "switch over the" position maintained why"? And what is the difference?
Sorry quotes in wrong place.Ill try again...you recommended the "spring return switch" over the "position maintained",why? And what is the difference?
Seems to me" position maintained" is the correct one for my application. ... The switch needs to remain in what ever potion I leave it in.
I can rate your advice but was waiting for an answer about the specific switch . You have not replied about my previous request. You sent me a diagram for a spring returned switchI need to know if that same diagram applies to a position maintained switch and does does that switch have a built in on off for power or does the middle position serve that purpose?
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician