Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a Leviton Timer connected to a toggle switch with 3…

Customer Question
I have a Leviton Timer...
I have a Leviton Timer connected to a toggle switch with 3 buttons. The timer is connected to the heater switch. All were working well; light,vent fan, and timer. The cover plate was hard to get on and I had to move both switches around in the wall box. Afterwards, the timer wouldn't cycle off,causing the timer to get too hot to touch! Eventually, the light switch and heater switch quit working. I noticed a small shock when I touched the timer. The breaker never tripped. What could be the root cause of this problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/24/2016
Electrician: Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician replied 2 years ago
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** id love to help, This sounds like your timer is underrated for your application. How many watts total are on the timer and what is it rated for?

1800 watts,Leviton LTB601L2

The switch is rated at 1800 watts. That is right on the line. I would say that if everything worked for a while and the timer got hot and things stopped working logic would point to the timer.

This switch is also designed for lighting, not heating. This makes a difference, inrush currents are not taken into account.

My light,vent heater is a Broan model 654H,1300 watt heater

ok got it, this fan/light should be on its own GFCI protected circuit. The switch is near its rating capacity. I would contact the manufacturer and request a replacement switch, the heater is drawing current through the switch causing it to heat.

It could be faulty, but it soulds like you need a dedicated 20 a switch for the heater.

The spec sheet says it draws 12 amps. Thats a whole 15 a circuit.

Its on a dedicated 20 amp circuit
Looked at my timer switch again,its says 500 Watts

yeesh

that explains why it got so hot.

im betting the switch is fried

I need a timer rated 1300W ?

yes, and you are looking for the wall mount, ie in the switch box.. style

my 3 n 1 switch is probably fried also,heat and light wont work,only vent

I would re examine the connections in the fan/heater to the feed to ensure they are good. If you have good voltage and connections at the fan unit then i would start looking at the fan.

this is an 1800 watt wall mount timer.

Sold at home depot?
The leviton timer link you sent is the exact one I have
What about the three switches,rated at 20amps,no wattage

amps x volts = watts

so any 20 amp switch should work.

My switch was 15amp-120v

wattage rating counts, the one i posted is 1800 watts

Which one the digital or the Leviton

both

I had the leviton timer connected to the heater the back to the switch that turns the heater on,per Broan wiring diagram. Can I send you that diagram?

Yes

I think what I'll do is get a double switch for the light and fan,and a dedicated spring switch for the heater
What do you think

Sorry, Internet problems here on the east coast.

As long as your switches are rated for the loads, you will not get that switch heating issue.