Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a sub woofer that has noise coming into it when the…

Customer Question
I have a sub woofer...
I have a sub woofer that has noise coming into it when the receiver is off. Been told that it is because I put a dimmer on a light switch that happened to be on that same circuit. I was also told there is a device I can plug the power of the subwoofer into before going into the wall outlet that will resolve this problem but I don't know what it is called and I can't find anyone that knows what I am talking about. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/24/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Plug the receiver and sub-woofer using an extension cord into another known working receptacle on a different circuit that does not contain lighting.

Does the noise issue go away or does it follow?

2) What type of light bulbs is the dimmer switch controlling? Incandescent or halogen or CFL or LED or Fluorescent strip bulbs?

Mike, Master Electrician