How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7590
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is nehal
, need to install a nema 14-50 in my

Customer Question

Customer: my name is nehal
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: need to install a nema 14-50 in my garage wanted to know what the nec code for this is
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. What are you needing the receptacle for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electric car
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You don't have any restrictions for the installation other than protecting a cable within 8 ft of the floor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outlet, 50 amp circuit breaker and 6 3 wire is all I will need correct
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You'll need 6/3 with a ground, that's a 4 wire cable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I connect this thru a sub panel or does it have to be connected thru the main panel
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Either would be OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a 60 amp circuit breaker in the main panel for the sub panel is that ok or will there be a overload if a additional 50 amp circuit breaker is added to it
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

That only being a 60A sub you'll need to originate the EV circuit in the main panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to change the 60 amp circuit breaker with a 100 amp breaker and use the sub panelReason I ask this question is because it's easier to connect it to the sub panel (it is a 200amp sub panel )
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Only if the wire size is right. You need a #2 Aluminum or a #4 copper in the sub feed wires.