Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

I have a circuit that that trips when it rains and now won't

Customer Question

I have a circuit that that trips when it rains and now won't work at all. This exterior circuit was tied into an existing circuit for the living room. There is a 30 amp dp connector that goes to a gfci and then to 7 exterior outlets. The gfci trips as soon as you reset it. I have changed all outlets and gfi to new tamper proof ones and also installed a new exterior gfci and still does same thing. Could it be the connector? What else could it be if not? Everything is unplugged from the outlets also.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** i would like to help you with this problem.

Have you ensured that the line and load terminals of the GFCI are correctly terminated. If you feed the load side of a GFCI this is a typical reaction.

and by 30 amp dp connector so you mean 30 amp double pole breaker?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tested that, gfci is hooked up properly, and it is a dp connector, 3 terminals. Cutler-hammer c25dnd330

I guess my next question is why a DP contactor is powering a GFCI recepticale and not an HVAC unit or walk in freezer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine as well, the contactor pops then the gfci pops, could it be that the contactor has a bad coil? It's about 3 years old he said.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if not the contactor, what else could it be? Everything in the living room works fine and is not affected, but nothing in the backyard is working with all new outlets.

Have you checked for continuity between hot/neutral hot/ground?

If you dont have a voltage leak causing the trip logic would point to the contactor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have bad reception where I am at, text is better.

..were you prompted for a call?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know how these sites work, probably not you

wow, i never set that up.. i dont even have it in my chat box

anyway, if the breaker was tripping when it rains, odds are you had water losing the circuit and tripping the breaker. This can be a very small amount of water, to prevent this all outdoor receptacles must have rated weather protection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I'm going to change the contactor tomorrow afternoon. Can I reach out to you from this existing chat since it is the same issue?

My guess is you may have a few issues here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All new covers are on

Nice, i would make sure all new receptacles are wired correctly before i bought a new contactor. But if you are sure they are correct i would go ahead and try the contactor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, hopefully I won't need you tomorrow, I will contact you either way though.

Good luck! Be safe, and you know where to find me :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** my #1 deal, I like working...

were you able to get that circuit to hold boss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had to order the part, hopefully Monday or Tuesday it will be here, definitely will let you know.

sounds good. hope it works!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, new contactor is in, same result, keeps popping the gfci. Does there need to be a transformer hooked up to the contactor? I don't see one. Out of ideas, please help.