Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing a ceiling fan that has one controlling wall…

Customer Question
Hi, I am replacing a...
Hi, I am replacing a ceiling fan that has one controlling wall switch. I failed to note the prior fans wiring diagram. From the ceiling I have 3 black (1 hot with wall switch off), 3 white, and 1 red. New fan has 1 each black, white, blue, and ground. Do I wire white to white, black to black, and red to blue? As another clue my home was built in 1962....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/21/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Your conclusion is applicable but I suggest lookin in the switch box to see where the red wire is. You may have the means of separating the fan functions by adding a separate switch or fan control. Let me know if you're going to check it out.

Will check switch now

Very good. Standing by.

Red runs to wall switch

What about the black from the same cable?

Black also, white is capped at the back of box not attached to wall switch.

If both black and red are on their own switches, you have separate functions. Connect the fan as follows.

Black fan to black wire

White fan to white wires

Blue fan to red wire

Green fan to copper ground wires.

Black and red travel to same wall switch. As stated I have 3 black wires in ceiling box with one black hot. Do I bundle all black together with black from fan?

Are both black and red unconnected in the ceiling box. On the mentioned switch are there any other wires connected?.

Did you get pictures? Black and red in ceiling are unconnected. Wall switch is red to bottom and black to top.

No picture. Are both red and black wires part of the same cable or is the black from another cable? The reason I'm asking is because both are unconnected at the ceiling.

On the wall switch red and black come from same cable. Cant tell at the ceiling.

If on the same switch you can wire it 2 ways. If you want the switch to power both the fan and light together. Connect the loose black to the other blacks. Connect the black and blue fan wires to the red house wire. White fan to all the whites.

You can also connect the fan black and loose black to the other blavks, whites together and the fan blue to the red. This will put the light on the switch and the fan will work from the pullchain.

Okay, I will give it a shot. Thanks Mike

Very good, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician