Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am replacing just the plugs in my condo that I just moved

Customer Question

good morning ..... so I am replacing just the plugs in my condo that I just moved into ..... how hard could that be right ? ..... I am replacing them all for the fact that every single one of them is crazy loose when I put a plug into it ..... so I was going along just fine and the plugs around the living room were wired in series ..... no big deal ..... the plug 2nd from the end of the series has a ground wire to it ...... so again I am just simply removing wires from one outlet and putting them right back on a new outlet and I am testing the plugs all one at a time as I am replacing them ..... this outlet is my nemesis though ..... I get it all wired up and I turn the breaker back on and it immediately trips ..... I checked all the wires and they were all tight .... this is a metal junction box ..... there are 2 neutral wires, one hot and the one ground wire ..... I am confident that it doesn't matter which of the neutral goes on which screw of the outlet on the neutral side and the same on the hot side with the one wire ...... the outlet will work just fine UNTIL I go and screw it onto the box ..... I turn the breaker off ..... screw the outlet on the junction box and it trips ...... I unscrew the outlet from the junction box and let it dangle outside of it and turn the breaker on and it's fine. I then thought that the problem has to be in that ground wire some how so I took it off and put a wire nut on it and screwed the outlet back onto the box and all of the plugs work just fine but now my kitchen lights don't work and that breaker is tripped ..... I flip it back on and it immediately trips ...... this got way more entailed than I ever thought it would or even could ..... I'm confident that the problem is simply in that one ground wire but have no clue why it keeps shorting out ..... does any of this seem logical ? how can I fix it ? any simple suggestions ?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all of the wires that were on the old plug were in the holes on the back of the outlet ..... unfortunately I have thrown the old outlet away now but I believe I recall that the green wire actually seemed to be in series on the hot side which makes no sense to me ...... I thought I might try to connect it back to the hot side of my outlet but I thought I might really (literally) playing with fire there
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Probably a silly question but have you tried another new receptacle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried temporarily connecting just one of the neutrals and leaving the other one disconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it fixed ..... thanks have a nice day
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Great.

Good luck.