Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Name is ***** ***** - trying to figure out how to wire a…

Customer Question
Hi, name is *****...

Hi, name is ***** ***** - trying to figure out how to wire a well pump to my generator.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Sure

Contractor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

My well is about 250 feet from the house. My idea is to insert a 30Amp 220v Turnlock connector in the line leading from the switchboard to the well pump. When it is time for generator use I disconnect that and plug the line into the generator - does it make sense. At no time is there a chance of putting electricity from my generator back onto the grid, so that is no concern.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
Please cancel this request - I aborted the project. Thanks.
1/21/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many amps is the double pole circuit breaker at the electrical panel for the pump?

2) How many amps is the generator rated for?