Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I took off a ceiling plate to install a light fixture. There…

Customer Question
I took off a ceiling...
I took off a ceiling plate to install a light fixture. There is a white, black, and red wire. I checked the wall switch and there is a red and black wire coming from the switch. The new light fixture has a black and white wire. How do I hook up these wires so that the switch works to turn on/off?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/20/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If you have an AC voltmeter available, this can confirm which ceiling wire is the switched loop wire. However since the wall switch and the ceiling both contain a red wire, more than likely the red wire is being used as the switched loop conductor.

2) Spice the ceiling red wire to the light fixture black wire. Splice the ceiling white neutral to the light fixture white neutral.

If the switch works correctly, I then suggest to label the ceiling red wire as "switched loop". If in the future the light fixture ever needs to be replaced, you will now know the correct wire.

Reply back to me and let me know how you make out............Thanks..............Kevin:)

What about the black wire in the celing?

If the black wire is a single (lone) wire that is not spliced to any other wires, then cap it off with a plastic wire nut.

If the ceiling black wire is spliced to other wires and the red wire connection does not work, let me know as will then need to do some further testing.

How did you make out splicing the light fixture to the red ceiling wire?

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor