Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Track lighting... when i added an additional fixture to the…

Customer Question
***** ***** track...

***** ***** track lighting... when i added an additional fixture to the track the existing ones all went out

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Halogen track lights. had 3 or 4 on the track and when adding another they all went black the track is dead

Contractor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/19/2016
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Most likely, there is a loose connection at the feed end or coupling for the section of track you are having trouble with.

Loose connections are often exposed when more load is added to a circuit, such as an additional light bulb.

To repair this, make sure the wall switch is in the OFF position. Open the small cover at the feed end of the track. Make sure the screws where the wires connect to the track are tight. If you can access the ceiling box, make sure any splices in that box are tight as well. If the track has any couplings in it, meaning it's two or more sections joined, remove the covers from the couplings and check those screws for tightness as well. You can also check for loose connections in the wall switch box.