Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a light with 3 locations to turn it on. One switch is…

Customer Question
I have a light with...
I have a light with 3 locations to turn it on. One switch is a four way with both white wires on the common and to red on the gold. The other switches are three way with a black, white and red. I need to know the proper way to attach these wires to the two other switches.
Thank you for your help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/18/2016
Electrician: Charles Degraffenree,
 replied 2 years ago
Charles Degraffenree

Hi Bob, My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help before I answer your question I just want to clarify a few things and ask a couple of questions.

1. Does the 4-way switch have four screw terminals not including a green ground screw? (typically two silver and two brass)

It has two black and 2 brass
Electrician: Charles Degraffenree,
 replied 2 years ago

Your red and white should be your travellers at each 3-way going on the screws that match in color. Your blacks should go on the common. There is a lot of different ways to wire a 3-way, 4-way combo so if that not your solution we may need to dig further. Please make sure you have the power off to the circuit before working on it. If you need help turning it off please let me know.

The two switches of the three terminals will work, but only when the four terminal switch is on. The four terminal switch will not turn the light on. This switch as two red on the brass and two white on the black
The four way switch when it is turned off the other switches do not work, when it is turned on the other two work.
Electrician: Charles Degraffenree,
 replied 2 years ago

There should be one red and one white on the brass (from the same cable or conduit)

Sometimes just using colors to identify the function of a wire does not work because how it was originally wired may not be proper or standard. If you switch the travellers at the 4-way and it does not function properly then we will need to go into much more detail.

I switched the red wires to the black terminals and the white to the brass. When this switch is on the other two work fine when I turn the four way off the other two do not work
Electrician: Charles Degraffenree,
 replied 2 years ago

I am sorry if I was not clear...

Just switch one of the red and whites so you have on red and one white on the black screws. just verify that both wires on the black screws come from the same cable or conduit.

Got it! Thanks for your help.Bob Brendel
Electrician: Charles Degraffenree,
 replied 2 years ago

your welcome