Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a Coats 1001 Computer wheel balancer with a baldor…

Customer Question
Hi I have a Coats 1001...
Hi
I have a Coats 1001 Computer wheel balancer with a baldor industrial motor three phase 1 1/2 hp 850 rpm. In my shop I have single phase power. What can I use to operate my balancer (single phase/ three phase). I have called Coats four times and have yet to get an answer. Hopefully you can help me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/17/2016
Electrician: Joecamel90,
 replied 2 years ago
Joecamel90

Hello I will help you with your question,

You can get a Comercial phase converter of the correct size to run the balancer for about $200.

You can also use another three phase motor wired in parallel with yours to run on 2/3 power. An Internet search will show the instruction to do so.

Please let me know how I can help,this have been done successfully many times.

thank you

Do you think I need a VFD Variable Frequency Drive or a Static Conversion Rotary or Rotary Conversion. I think that might work for the motor. I am concerned about the computer part of it. Do you think the Computer has something that tells it that I am converting it?
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

You do not need a VFD. You will need a phase converter. The on board computer will not know (or care) that it is being supplied by a phase converter as long as it is clean power.

Vinny, just checking in, did you get the info you need? Is there anything else I can assist with? Please rate my service before leaving the site. Thank you