Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

How do I add a thermostat to my electrical baseboard heater.

Customer Question

How do I add a thermostat to my electrical baseboard heater. My wire onlky goes to my heater, so I need to run a wire from my heater to my thermostat and I need to know the combination between the different color wires.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a wall thermostat heater that I want to install.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the baseboard heater a 120 volt or a 240 volt type?

2) How many amps is the circuit breaker for the baseboard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
240 volt. 30 amps . there is only this heater hooked to this breaker.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the confirmation.

1) Since the circuit is a 240 volt, the T-Stat needs to be a double pole T-Stat.

2) From the 30 amp double pole breaker, you will need 10 AWG Copper conductors........ie.........2 hot conductors and 1 ground wire that will originate from the main electrical panel and will terminate to the T-Stat LINE side. The T-Stat LINE side will be labeled as "L1 & L2". This is the hot circuit feed connection into the T-Stat.

3) Out of the T-Stat and connecting to the LOAD side, will be labeled as "T1 & T2". Install 10 AWG copper conductors from the T-Stat to the baseboard heater.

4) Connect the ground wire to the baseboard heater.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My heater (located on the second floor of my house) is already connected to the panel (located in the basement). I have already a thermostat directly on the heater but I want to replace it and have a wall heater.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

The circuit feed must first feed into the wall T-Stat and then out to the heater.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I created a wiring diagram for you. See attached:

This is how the T-Stat and baseboard heater must be wired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No problem, glad to assist. Stay warm:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin,This is what I have:
- coming from panel to T-Stat, 1 black, 1 red, 1 green
- T-Stat: 2 black wires
- going from T-Stat to heater: 1 black, 1 red, 1 green
- heater: 1 black, 1 redHow do I connect all this ? Your drawing does not refer to any red color but white.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a double pole T-Stat
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) My drawing is generic as there are numerous wire color combinations that can be installed for branch circuit wiring.

2) Take a look at the double pole circuit breaker wires, they are most likely a black and a red for the 2 hot wires.

3) The black and red are the 240 volt branch circuit conductors......ie........same as my drawing except a different wire color was used in your application. Same concept applies.

4) A 240 volt heater requires a double pole T-Stat and not a single pole T-Stat. Single pole T-Stats are only used on 120 volt heaters.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)