How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7526
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm upgrading my service from 60 amp to 200 amp. The meter

Customer Question

Customer: I'm upgrading my service from 60 amp to 200 amp. The meter base and breaker panel are mounted on a pole about 150' from the house. The line runs overhead from the pole to the house. The line is 60 years old and bear in spots.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I would like to replace and run under ground. What size of copper or Aluminum would I need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you plan to go overhead or underground on the new service? Where are you located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going underground and I'm in Ridott IL 61067
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

At that distance you can use either a 4/0 copper or a 250MCM aluminum. The run should be in sch40 PVC to avoid failures in the future from ground movement and the necessity of enveloping a cable in sand to protect it from rock penitrations. The conduit will need to be 2 1/2" mom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will also be running a line 200' to a 200 amp service in the barn. Can I use the same size wire?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Will it be from the same pole or an addition to the 150 ft?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the same pole. Two circuits one line to the house and one to the barn.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Same size wire. If you cross any driveway you'll need to use galv ridgod conduit to cross it. At the pole you'll need 2 ground rods with a #4 copper loop to both disconnects and a single rod with #6 copper at the house and at the barn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm also replacing the wires from the meter to the weather head. Which would be supplying 400 amps the meter base and breaker panel. What size copper wire for this?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

500MCM copper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you describe what you mean by "loop"? In my minds eye I see the "loop" line running from the breaker panel down to the first ground rod then over to the second ground rod then back up to the breaker panel. Is that correct?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Originating on the neutral bar, connecting 2 rods 6 ft apart and returning to the neutral bar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the ground rods so far apart could I put the two rods and wire below ground level? That way it's protected from lawn mowers. I find it very interesting needing all of the ground rods. We currently only have one at the pole.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Codes change. Yes they may be blow the surface.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time and all the great info. Hope you have a great new year.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome and a great year for you.