Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I bought a bathroom vanity light that cannot be returned. It

Customer Question

I bought a bathroom vanity light that cannot be returned. It is a bar with 4 pedestal light covers, that can either be "up" or "down" if you rotate the bar at the junction box. I prefer the down position but the covers are in contact with the mirror frame. So my question is, how much trouble is it to move the junction box about 6 inches higher on the wall?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Could you upload a picture of the box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If feasible, I can do the drywall repair myself.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

I only see 1 cable in the box. Send a picture of the mounting plate for the fixture. If it is solid with a 7/8" hole in it you can wire it without a box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent 2 pictures- the front and back of the mounting plate. Did you get them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, Is this conversation over? I don't have my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this my first rip-off of 2016?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Not a rip off. Today is a holiday and I'm not sitting by the computer all day. The fixture will need a box. I suggest getting an old work plastic box. It has a built in means of fastening it in place. Turn the power off, destroy the existing box in place. Cut the hole for the new box. The cable should be long enough to reach the new box, cut a round piece of drywall to fit, with Durabond butter the edge of the old hole, push the round dryall plug into the hole flush with the finish and allow it to dry, finish coat with Durabond. Durabond doesn't shrink so tapeing the hole isn't necessary. Happy New Year.