Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am replacing a GE Class P #8G1075 ballast with a new GE

Customer Question
ballast that powers 1 T12...
I am replacing a GE Class P #8G1075 ballast with a new GE ballast that powers 1 T12 40 watt fixture product code 93896.
The old ballast has 2 red wires, 1 black, 1 blue and 1 white. And one white on the fixture coming from the end of the bulb to the white ground.
The new ballast has 2 red, 2 blue, 1 black and 1 white.
I wired the red wires to the red wires on the fixture like before. Blue to blue. Barack to black. White to the white ground. The other blu wire I wired the same as the white wire coming from the old ballast. I've tried wiring the white wire from the end of the fixture 3 ways:
Combined with the white ground and the white wire from the ballast.
Combined singly with either of the blue wires.
I even tried not wiring it at all.
But the lamp won't go on.
There is power to the fixture. And I have tried 2 different brand new bulbs.
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
12/24/2015
Electrician: Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician replied 1 year ago
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician

Hello sir, I would love to help you with you ballast issue.

how many,What type, and what wattage bulbs are you trying to power?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One 40 watt T12
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any idea on how to wire this ballast?

May I have a picture of the wiring diagram that is on the new ballast?

I have looked everywhere for some wiring references and cant find them, to be able to assist you I would need that diagram.

We call those tombstones in the trade, take the old wires completely out of them. You should see ports for the wire to be stabbed in. The same ports you just removed the old wire from. On one end of the light and on just one of tombstones put both red wires, make sure you put one red wire in the left port of the tombstone and one wire on the right. The tombstone has two sides make sure both ports (sides of the tombstone) are engaged. Do the same with blue on the other side. Now the black to black white to white and green to bare.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas! If you found this information helpful please rate me :)

Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician