Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

I have 1 circuit in my house that a couple outlets and

Customer Question

I have 1 circuit in my house that a couple outlets and lights are working and the rest are not. The outlets that do not work show partial power when tested with a meter.
I cannot find any loose wiring on plugs or switches.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello sir, My name is ***** ***** i'd be glad to help.

You mentioned a reading of "partial power" at the outlets what did you mean by this?

Also, If you can i will need you to be as specific at possible with this problem. If you can send any pictures or if anything has been done to the circuit recently. I would love to have that info

Do you know where the feed wire that comes from your main panel is? Sometimes problems can be tough, I would like to offer a phone conversation. Do you think that would make this assistance more effective?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing we know of has changed on this circuit. It is a master bath circuit.
One of the sink lights no longer work.
The light over the toilet doesn't work, the master bath walk in closet light doesn't work and the gfci outlet at the one sink
doesn't work. Each shows power (using a meter), but not 110V. It is less than 110V on the meter and apparently not
enough to work lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main box is directly below this bathroom in the basement. The wiring seems to be fine coming out of the box, connections to the breaker are tight.

How many switches for the lights? Does one switch control more than one light? do you know how to test power coming from a breaker with a multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In this bathroom each light has 1 switch.
I do have a multimeter, since I have 110v on the plug and light that are working I didn't test the line
because I wouldn't have 110v on the light and plug if the main line didn't have it.

one probe goes to the breakers lug one probe on the ground bar, with the breaker on and your meter in on the AC function should read +/= 5% 120. If we can verify this we know that we will have to take the next step.

Ok that sounds about right, are you sure the working lights are on the same circuit?

working lights and plug*

Do you have the face plate off of the master bathroom switchbank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost positive. I will have to check that. I appreciate your help.

I am glad to help, take your time im here all day :)

Any new info? I hope my information is helpful.

Were you able to get your bathroom circuit straightened out? :) If i was helpful please take a second to rate me :)

I hope you had a Merry Christmas! If you found this info helpful please take a moment to rate me :)