Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Cutting opening in ceiling to fix leaking pipe. Cut wire

Customer Question

Cutting opening in ceiling to fix leaking pipe. Cut wire that powers furnace. How do I fix?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What type of cable did you cut? NM Romex or an Armored Cable?

2) Is the cut cable the electrical circuit that feeds the furnace or the Thermostat Low Voltage cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gray wire feeds the furnace
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the replies.

1) Can you send me a picture of the wire so I can see what you have in place?

2) Take a look at the labeling on the exterior insulation of the cable and provide me with the type of cable that you have. Is the cable labeled as "UF" Underground Feeder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says romax 14/2 on wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not able to up load picture for some reason.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh - there it is!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, very good..........Thanks for the picture and the confirmation.

1) You will need to make a permanent splice using some plastic wire nuts and install an accessible junction box with a cover plate to correct the problem. Looks like you may have a sufficient amount of cable slack based on the picture?

All electrical splices must reside within an accessible electrical box. DO NOT just make a splice in the ceiling using wire nuts as this will create a code violation as well as a potential safety issue.

2) If there is not a sufficient amount of cable slack in the ceiling, you will need to install (2) two junction boxes for the splices and cut off a section of new 14/2 NM Romex cable to make the repair. If not enough cable slack, you will need to make (2) two splices using (2) two junction boxes. If using a metal junction box for the splices, the bare equipment ground wire must be grounded to the metal box. Splice the bare copper wires together along with a 6 inch bare piece of 14 AWG copper wire to make a pigtail. Then terminate the bare copper 14 AWG copper pigtail wire to a green ground screw and secure the ground screw to each metal junction box for proper grounding.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks…………..Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks…………..Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)