Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Oh boy, I'm trying to wire in a combination 3-way/single

Customer Question

Customer: Oh boy, I'm trying to wire in a combination 3-way/single pole switch. The power comes from the first 3-way switch and is going to go to the overhead light from the combo switch.. The single pole part will power a different light.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What do yo uneed to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long will it take to get an answer?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Unfortunately you won't be able to originate the single pole switch off the 3 way wiring. You'll need a hot and neutral from another source. Your 3 way only provides hots depending on the position of the lead switch and no neutral.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using a combination 3-way/ single pole switch. Won't the hot to the single pole come from the hot part of the 3-way?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

No, the hots at that switch are onlyhot depending on the position of the lead switch. They alternate, that's how a 3 way works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then what's the purpose of a combination switch? It has instructions for using a single hot or two separate hots. For two hots you break off the tab in the middle of the switch.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

They are used where the 120V feed powers both switch's, not on the second 3 way location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I do see that their diagram has the hot going directly to the switch.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is in the lead box not the location of the second 3 way box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.