Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Was asked to do a service upgrade... 100 A panel to 200 A

Customer Question

Was asked to do a service upgrade...
100 A panel to 200 A panel (in california)
Its an old zinsco make.
No ground wire for branch circuits(steel flex)....
Customer wants to re wire house eventually ....
My question is ....
If I install Gfci breakers at the panel for existing circuits (only 4 ckts at the moment)....
Will that fly at inspection?
Not sure how to handle situation...
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

The NEC calls for these circuits to have Arc Fault Circuit Interruptor - AFCI - whether the building official will allow regular breakers on the existing circuits varies widely by jurisdiction. The building official has the final word.

It has been my experience over the years working in many jurisdictions that most inspectors are willing to work with you as long as you are up front with them.

I recommend giving them a call or speaking to him/her when you apply for the permit.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Second Opinion

Hi, I'm Mike G

Arc fault breakers are a good idea but not required on existing circuits unless they are extended over 6 ft. If the wiring method you mentioned is actually a BX cable, the sheath and foil within are the ground. If so, grounded receptacles may be installed and ground provided with a jumper wire to the outlet box. If the method is a flex cable, a GFCI breaker would be the solution.