How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7604
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Was asked to do a service upgrade... 100 A panel to 200 A

Customer Question

Was asked to do a service upgrade...
100 A panel to 200 A panel (in california)
Its an old zinsco make.
No ground wire for branch circuits(steel flex)....
Customer wants to re wire house eventually ....
My question is ....
If I install Gfci breakers at the panel for existing circuits (only 4 ckts at the moment)....
Will that fly at inspection?
Not sure how to handle situation...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to

The NEC calls for these circuits to have Arc Fault Circuit Interruptor - AFCI - whether the building official will allow regular breakers on the existing circuits varies widely by jurisdiction. The building official has the final word.

It has been my experience over the years working in many jurisdictions that most inspectors are willing to work with you as long as you are up front with them.

I recommend giving them a call or speaking to him/her when you apply for the permit.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Second Opinion

Hi, I'm Mike G

Arc fault breakers are a good idea but not required on existing circuits unless they are extended over 6 ft. If the wiring method you mentioned is actually a BX cable, the sheath and foil within are the ground. If so, grounded receptacles may be installed and ground provided with a jumper wire to the outlet box. If the method is a flex cable, a GFCI breaker would be the solution.