Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Our wireless wall switch just broke and I ordered a new one.

Customer Question

Our wireless wall switch just broke and I ordered a new one. But the instructions I've found say that the wall receiver should contain an amber LED light that aids in teh programming. But our wall unit has no light but a sliding three position swith below the main switch rocker. How do I program this unit (which is only a few years old)?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please provide the make and model of the switch so that the specifications can be obtained to better assist.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Leviton wall receiver but there's no serial number whatsoever on the switch underneath the plastic face plate. I wrote to you guys because I didn't want to have to pull the switch out of the wall to look for a serial number inside the device. This one differs from the one I found on the Leviton site in that it doesn't have a colored light below the switch to help with the programming, but a simple on/off sliding switch marked as such.

Ok,

Unfortunately, without a Model it is almost impossible to determine what you have and what the issue may be, just too many different units made over the years.

I will put your question back on the open board for all experts to review and respond if they wish.

Thanks, ***** ***** to respond, please wait till the site notifies you another expert has posted. Otherwise, it will delay the transfer.

Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Just a few ideas, Maybe this switch is in circuit with another switch in a "3-way" configuration. This means two switches control one light or multiple lights simultaneously. On or Off at either switch location. I have seen this, an older couple had no idea they had another switch behind a fancy hutch style glassware cabinet. It had worked for a really long time, so they forgot. 25 years later I am at my wits end troubleshooting this switch until this very thought dawned on me. If you just moved in recently id go flipping switches. Also, I would need a better description of what the switch controls and what exactly is happening when you flip the switch. Finally, these wireless switches need batteries to function properly. the remote and the switches in the wall have parts that need batteries. Last thing really, Electricians are human..this means wires in your wall and switch boxes may have been damaged during installation unknowingly. Stuff happens. Anyway, over time with continued use like flipping a switch or plugging in your phone charger this "nick" in the wire becomes brittle. You know how you can bend some metals repeatedly until it snaps? Copper is especially vulnerable to this metal property. So, it fails and you HAVE to disassemble the circuit and take the switches out to fix it. This can happen anywhere in your home. If a drywall installer accidentally puts a screw through one of these wires there is a very small chance that it will still work but be very slightly damaged. If you think your house doesn't shift over time with the change of the seasons hot to cold wind and snow id like you to just listen. Just listen for the smallest creaking sound. Its almost like if a person cracks their knuckles. It will be random and not very exciting, but it happens. This is your very house shifting ever so slightly. Well there goes that nick that was supported right on a flexing joint. So you see, without more info its really tough to help. However, I hope this is useful in finding and fixing your problem.