Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Alex - I'm ***** *****.Two things: 1st - I need to replace

Customer Question
Customer: Hi Alex - I'm...
Customer: Hi Alex - I'm ***** *****.Two things: 1st - I need to replace one of the sockets in a ceiling fan - how difficult is that?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2nd (and more involved I'm sure) : there are twpo rooms in the house where if my fiancé plugs a vacuum cleaner in, it thros the circuit breaker for the entire house. Have any idea what might be causing that?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
12/7/2015
Electrician: Alex, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Alex
Alex, Master Electrician

Hello, I'm glad to help

1. Most of the sockets are mounted using screws. They have 2 wires black and white. So it should not be hard to replace. However you can come back here when you get socket and I will try to walk you through.

2. Are you sure its the main breaker that trips? or its one of the 15 or 20 amp breakers that trips?

Ok - so far so good. I'll go to Home Deopt or Loew's and get a replacement socket. How about the second question? I think that may involve a pretty extensive evaluation and repair.

Are you sure its the main breaker that trips? or its one of the 15 or 20 amp breakers that trips?

No- it's the main breaker- the power in the entire house goes out. she has to plug the vacuum into an outlet in another room for it to work.
Could they have used too small a wire gauge when they wired the two involved rooms. or could the outlets be defective?

Hmmm. That definitely needs an electrician. There are few things that needs to be checked, starting from the panel checking loose wires and breakers going towards each device on that circuit.

BTW - I live just north of the Austin, Texas metropolitan area.

well the problem is that main breaker is tripping. it should only trip the breaker for that circuit.

Do you mean the problem could actually be in the breaker panel and not so much in the wiring of the individual rooms? I had not considered that.

It is really hard to say. It might be combination of both. It needs troubleshooting. as I said if it was single breaker tripping then it would be either over load of that circuit or short in the receptacle that you are using for vacuum. What size is the main breaker?

meaning how many amps?

That I don't know off hand - I'll have to go outside and check (for some reason they build some houses down here with the panel outside (we keep it locked to prevent vandalism). I'm just trying to get a feel for what might be involved here - this is NOT something I'm going to try on my own. What would be a typical fuse amperage for the main breaker?

Mostly 100 or 200. But it is really rare that you would overload the main breaker. Although when it trips besides the vacuum what else did you have on? maybe electric oven, dryer

Wouldn't it have to be something like 200 amps to handle the zones carrying AC and major appliances?

It really all depends. How old is the house?

Sorry - I thought we were disconnected (just checked my email). the house is about 8-109 years old. My fiancé has tried running the vacuum with nothing else but the refrig/freezer running in the background and it still trips the main breaker. And perhaps I forgot to mention - this happens from two different rooms in two different zones.

Sorry but it really needs troubleshooting.

8-10 years old house should have at least 200 amps.

Just a follow up. Did you get electrician to look at it?

Mike, Master Electrician