Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

One of my outlets was overloaded and now none of my 4

Customer Question

Hi one of my outlets was overloaded and now none of my 4 outlets in my room work. 3 in my daughter's room went out also but she had one outlet on a different wall still working. I changed all my outlets and the gfi switch in my bathroom. But still no electricity!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester ( a contact type) or an AC voltmeter available to take some voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm sorry I don't 😔 there are 2 other outlets that don't work in my daughter's room that I haven't replaced and one in my bathroom I didn't replace. Could that be it?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Not sure if you replaced the receptacles due to the problem or if you were replacing them for some other reason?

2) If you replaced the receptacles due to the problem, that was not necessary as most likely you have a loose wire connection or a faulty splice somewhere within the branch circuit.

3) In order to troubleshoot the problem, you will need an AC voltmeter. Perhaps you can borrow one from a friend or a neighbor? If not, you can purchase a good AC digital voltmeter at any Home Depot or Lowe's for $25 or less. An AC voltmeter is a must have testing instrument whenever troubleshooting an electrical issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Get a meter and I can walk you thru the troubleshooting process. Reply back to me on this same question once you get a meter.

Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)