How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AssuredElectrical Your Own Question
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4241
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
AssuredElectrical is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ceilings have flush light fixtures which I believe to be

Customer Question

My ceilings have flush light fixtures which I believe to be halogen bulbs. The bulbs are bi-pin. I want to replace them with Philips Hue LED Multi-color lightbulbs. There are two Philips that look like they will fit in the ceiling: 1) Philips Hue GU10, and 2) Philips Hue PAR16.
Neither of these seem to be bi-pin. Do I need to convert the fixture? If so, how? Or, is there a converter that's easy to install?
Please advise the best method to use Philips multicolour hue led lights.
Picture of current ceiling light:
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

The bulbs you now have in the fixtures are MR16 bulbs.

The GU10 nor Par lamps will not work in this fixture.

You will just find the type of bulb wanted, and get the it in the MR16 style, which fits.

CLICK HERE for a sample of bulbs that work

I did not find where Philips had these MR16 in the Hue line, but will search some more

Will be glad to find other sources, just let me know


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is it possible to change the fixture from MR16 to PAR16 or GU10?
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

In order to know any possible changes to the fixtures, must first have the make and model number of the existing ones.

There are hundreds of fixtures, so need to know what is in place.

The picture appears that maybe you have recessed cans, in which case you would just replace the trims, but the make and model will confirm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see the model anywhere but here are some pictures. They look like recessed cans.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks.

The way those are designed, you would have to replace that pigtail with the bulb socket on each one to the type you now wish to use.

Finding the pigtails may be difficult without the manufacturers model number which is required to be printed inside the housing.

You would unwire the existing ones , slide off the protective sleeve, then slide the sleeve on the new pigtail and then wire in the new ones.

Then you may have to also change the trims if using PAR lamps, but the GU10 should fit the ones you have now.

Click Here to see pigtail example for GU10