Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am having trouble wiring my ceiling fan. I am replacing a

Customer Question
light fixture with a fan...
I am having trouble wiring my ceiling fan. I am replacing a light fixture with a fan with light. The light that I'm replacing was controlled by a single switch in two separate rooms. I took the light off and I have two sets of wires white, black, copper, and pink...from the fan i have black, white, green,and blue. How do I wire this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
12/3/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What house wire was the original light fixture spliced to in the ceiling box? A pink and a white or a black and a white?

2) How many individual ceiling box wires and the wire colors?

3) Does the fan have pull chains?

I'm not sure, when I took off the light fixture the caps fell of and the light fell. Everything became diconnected at that point.
The fan has chains.
The ceiling wires are a set of 4 white, black, pink and copper
I have wired a few other fans but not with switches in more than one room, and none have had a pink wire.
I should rephrase that...there are two sets of 4 wires coming from the ceiling.

Thanks for the replies.

1) I need to understand what a set of wires is?

Does the ceiling box have 4 white, 4 blacks, 4 pinks and 4 coppers? Please provide the individual count of ceiling wires and the colors in quantities? Which wire colors are spliced together?

2) Turn the branch circuit breaker to the OFF position and temporarily back out each of the 3-way switches from the wall but DO NOT disconnect any wires. What is the wire color that lands on each switch at the black screw terminal labeled as "Common"?

The ceiling box has two black, white, copper and pink wires coming from two separate insulated bundles. One coming from my kitchen and the other coming from the dining room. All of the wires are currently disconnected and bare, but the circuit breaker if off.
I backed the light switch out from the wall and it is connected to a pink wire, black wire and a ground.

Thanks for the replies.

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open question board. No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up the question. Thanks.

The black wire was the common wire. Just found it.
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I've read your posts and need to know

1) colors of wires connected on both switches.

2) color of wires on the black screws of both switches.

Both switches have a black and a pink wire attached to them, the common is the black wire.

They need more than 2 wires to be 3 way switches. Do you mean 2 blacks and 1 red?

Mike, Master Electrician