Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have older home with a old 3 prong dryer, I junked the old

Customer Question

Hello Mike,
I have older home with a old 3 prong dryer, I junked the old dryer and moved a newer used 4 prong dryer that was working that day from the neighbors house.
I removed the 3 prong outlet, and installed a new 4 prong outlet into the wall at are house.
The wires coming from inside the wall are green black and white,
The post on the new outlet are 2 copper bolts 1 green and 1 silver.
I coneted the black and white to there there own copper bolt and the green to the green bolt and left the silver bolt empty.
I flipped on the main breaker and nothing, so I tested the outlet got 240v
Then I opened back of dryer and tested dryer cord bolts. With 1 end of my volt meter on green each leg (black red and white) on dryer cored reads 120.
Testing any two at same time gets me my 240 (red & black - red & white - black & white)
Any ideas on why my dryer is not turning on.
Thanks Manda
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The direction you received saying to install a 4 wire receptacle on a 3 wire circuit was wrong. The only thing required was to install a 3 wire cord set on the dryer and connect the ground and neutral together in the dryer.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

The dryer cdepends on the neutral for operation of controls and the ground for safety. Your neutral isn't connected and no doubt why it's not working.