Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I need to replace a service entrance on a duplex apartment.

Customer Question

I need to replace a service entrance on a duplex apartment. The quote I got involves everything from the mast to the panels-100 amp. Includes replacing double fang meter socket And 2 disconnect switches. Labor entails Removing existing service. What is a reasonable price for this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please confirm, the service is an overhead service, correct? Is the service a 200 amp into the building?

2) Where are you located?

3) What is the distance from the disconnects to each panel? Is there existing conduit from the disconnects to the sub-panels?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The existing service is 100 amp on each side. Property is in Ft myers FL. The service is overhead and the distance from the disconnects to panels is approx 40 feet for one panel and 75 to the other. Conduit and cable will have to be replaced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The meter socket has to be replaced as well. That necessitates bringing everything up to code
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies and confirmation.

1) Upgrading a normal overhead service riser mast and (1) one panel is usually around $1500 to $2000.

Since (2) two sub-panels are involved along with the 2 feeder circuit conduits and disconnect switches, I would budget a minimum of $4000 for the project. Keep in mind, that the prices can vary. Much of this depends upon the hourly labor rate that the contractor wants to make as well as the % mark-up on the project. Prices will also depend upon the ease or difficulty of the project.

2) I recommend to obtain 3 firm quotes from local licensed electrical contractors. If one of the bids is much higher than the other 2, eliminate the high bid as that contractor is either trying to rip you off or doesn't know how to properly bid the job. If one bid is way too low, also eliminate that bid, since the contractor doesn't know how to bid. On most bids, it is usually the middle priced one that wins the job. Also get 3 references before picking out a contractor. Make sure the contractor pulls the electrical permit in their company business name and not you. Also insist on an electrical inspection from the local electrical inspector.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you ballpark how many man hours might be involved? Give me worst case scenario
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also what would the materials cost be? Figure that on the high end as well thank-you
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Probably 2 to 4 electricians on the project, with all working 10 hours......approximately 40 total man hours. Much of this depends upon how difficult to install the new feeder circuit conduit and work space access.

2) On most construction projects, the general rule of thumb is the 60/40 rule. 60% of a project is usually the labor cost and 40% of the project is usually the material cost.

3) Calculation as shown below assuming a total project cost of $4k

$4000 x 60% = $2400 labor

$4000 x 40% = $1600 material

Divide total labor cost by total estimated man hours ----------> $2400/40 hours = $60 per hour of labor. Keep in mind, that these number are ballpark figures only. Much depends upon the hourly labor rate and material mark-up the contractor will charge. Although a $60 hourly labor rate is a good average number.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)