Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

1. In a residential installation, the grounding conductor is

Customer Question
connected to the A. neutral bus...
1. In a residential installation, the grounding conductor is connected to the
A. neutral bus in the subpanel. C. service-drop equipment.
B. service-disconnecting means. D. branch-circuit breakers.
2. You need to install a door chime. What type of circuit will you install to supply power to the
transformer that feeds the door chime?
A. Feeder C. Supply it from a general-purpose circuit
B. Dedicated D. Special Purpose
3. When using two-wire cable to feed a 240-V appliance that does not require a neutral wire,
you should
A. use the cable as is.
B. use only the black wire.
C. mark both ends of the white wire green.
D. mark both ends and any exposed area of the white wire black.
4. In which one of the following rooms in a new house would you most likely find a GFCI outlet?
A. Living room C. Kitchen
B. Dining room D. Bedroom
Examination 85
EXAMINATION NUMBER:
00603701
Whichever method you use in submitting your exam
answers to the school, you must use the number above.
For the quickest test results, go to
http://www.takeexamsonline.com
5. When you encounter a four-slot receptacle in a residential laundry room, you know that
A. to comply with the 1999 NEC it must be replaced with a three-slot receptacle.
B. it allows for a separate equipment grounding conductor.
C. it’s rated for 480 V.
D. it’s able to provide AC or DC power.
6. Which of the following conducts current only when a fault occurs in the circuit?
A. Neutral wire C. Equipment-grounding conductor
B. Phase conductor D. Circuit breaker
7. A residential circuit would usually have circuit characteristics described as
A. single-phase 120/240 V. C. three-phase delta-connected 208 V.
B. single-phase 480 V. D. three-phase wye-connected 240 V.
8. Figure E-1 shows the wiring layout for a small house. How many ground-fault-type receptacles are
there?
A. 2 C. 6
B. 4 D. 7
9. The three electrical components needed to establish a circuit are a
A. power source, load, and switch. C. power source, conductors, and load.
B. switch, power source, and conductors. D. switch, conductors, and load.
10. A homeowner working within a limited budget wants the minimum number of small-appliance circuits
installed in the kitchen at the lowest cost. Which of the following circuit(s) will you install?
A. One 15-A C. Two 15-A
B. One 20-A D. Two 20-A
11. A fixed electric space heater wired by a cable with an ampacity of 30 A should draw a maximum
current of
A. 15 A. C. 27 A.
B. 24 A. D. 30 A.
12. Which type of circuit is becoming more common in residential electrical design and construction?
A. 3-phase circuits C. Communication circuits
B. Hazardous-area circuits D. 480 volt circuits
13. If the largest conductor in a service entrance is No. 1 copper, then the minimum size copper
grounding electrode conductor shall be
A. No. 2. C. No. 6.
B. No. 4. D. No. 8.
14. When installing smoke detectors in a new residence, always
A. interconnect multiple smoke detectors.
B. install a carbon monoxide detector in every home.
C. only install detectors on the first floor of multistory dwellings.
D. omit heat detectors because smoke detectors also detect heat.
15. When planning the wiring layout for a home, you know that the _______ won’t require a
special-purpose branch circuit.
A. range C. electric clothes dryer
B. microwave oven D. water heater
16. If line a of a three-wire circuit carries 90 A of current and line b carries 60 A, then the neutral n will
be carrying
A. 30 A. C. 90 A.
B. 60 A. D. 150 A.
17. When installing receptacles in an attached garage, an electrician must remember that all
workbench receptacles in the garage must be
A. supplied by 30 A circuits. C. weatherproof.
B. single—not duplex. D. GFCI protected.
18. When calculating the general light and receptacle load for a residence, you multiply the square
footage of the house by _______ VA.
A. 3 C. 100
B. 40 D. 10,000
19. To protect all four receptacles on a branch circuit that surrounds a swimming pool, you would install
one
A. GFCI feed-through receptacle at the beginning of the load’s circuit and connect the other
receptacles to the load side of that receptacle.
B. GFCI feed-through receptacle at the end of the load’s circuit.
C. GFCI-terminated receptacle at the beginning of the load’s circuit.
D. GFCI-terminated receptacle at each end of the load’s circuit.
20. In a 40- by 30-foot ranch-type home the calculated general lighting and receptacle load would be
_______ VA.
A. 10 C. 1200
B. 70 D. 3600
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
11/20/2015
Electrician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

1. A

2. C

3. D

4. C kitchen

This is fast service, please do not forget to rate my work. Thanks.

Can you help me with the rest of the questions too??

I am working on them

Great thank you

5. B

6. C

7. A

8. SHOW ME FIGURE E

9. D

10. D

show me figure E

11. B

12. C

the answer on question 8 is B (4 GFCI's)

13. C

14. B

15. D, water heater (if it is gas fired), a built in microwave oven needs its own branch circuit

There are five more I think

I am working on them

Lovely

16. C

17. D

18. A

19. A http://ecmweb.com/code-basics/nec-requirements-ground-fault-circuit-interrupters-gfci

20. D

Regarding pools and spa's etc, you cannot be too careful before working on any of them you need spend a few days study of grounding and bonding requirements etc.

Thank you will do the test now

Good luck with your career, the trades are a persons best security in todays world, since it all has to be done locally and cannot be sent offshore.

Please do not forget to rate, There were a few trick questions, however I expect you will get a 90% score or better, probably 95%+

I would like to know what score we got as well.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer