Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am trying to install a new wired doorbell. When I took the

Customer Question

I am trying to install a new wired doorbell. When I took the old chime off there were two wires in the wall (I suspect one for the back door, one for the front--although we have never used a doorbell in back)). Each of those, in turn, has a white and a red wire. The reds were attached to the chime unit, but the two whites were connected to each other with some small round item. Should I detach the whites and simply install the chimes with the red & white wires from the front door? Or is there some reason they are tied off that way?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

Did you replace the transformer also or only the chime?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to replace the chime. Here is the history. The doorbell went out and I ordered a new one, but it came without a diode. So I got a new chime that came with a diode for the doorbell, so from my perspective if the doorbell/diode would work with the old chime/transformer, I am fine with the old chime/transformer. But someone said that diodes might be specific to the particular chime/transformer. Is it OK for me to try my new doorbell with a diode and the old chime/transformer?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

I am not familiar with diodes being used with a chime. Could you post a picture of the wiring & the diodes? It's possible that you can use the old transformer but it has to be the same voltage as the new chime. Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage output? Thank you