Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Chandelier with 6 bulbs. 2 light and 4 't. Not the bulbs.

Customer Question

Chandelier with 6 bulbs. 2 light and 4 don't. Not the bulbs. Just happened suddely out of theblue
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you temporarily lower the chandelier canopy cover plate and double check the fixture wires to the house wiring splices. Sounds like a loose wire connection either inside the ceiling box or within the chandelier?

2) How many chandelier wires that splice to the ceiling box?

3) I assume that you have replaced the light bulbs?

4) Any chance that you have an AC voltmeter available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1)checked connection. Seems to be secure.
2)appears to be just one wire
3) yes replaced bulbs
4)no
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Problems such as this are usually caused by a faulty wire nut splice at the ceiling box or internally within the light fixture. If only 1 hot and 1 neutral conductor spliced at the ceiling box, that means that there are multiple wire splices internally within the chandelier. Each light bulb requires 1 hot and 1 neutral conductor that will all terminate to a common splice point within the fixture. Thus internally within the fixture, there will be 6 hots and 6 neutrals since the chandelier contains 6 light bulbs.

2) Perhaps you can borrow an AC voltmeter that has a built-in audible continuity tester from a friend or a neighbor? If not, a good AC voltmeter with a built in continuity testing feature can be purchased at any local home improvement store for less than $25.

3) The continuity feature of an AC voltmeter can easily confirm the integrity of the wire terminations from each light bulb socket and can pinpoint the problem very quickly.

4) Another item to confirm is the wattage rating of each socket and the wattage of the bulbs you are using. Many newer light fixtures have a wattage limiter device installed from the manufacturer into the fixture and the bulbs will automatically turn OFF if the wattage light bulb rating has been exceeded. Typically, the wattage limiter (if installed) will turn OFF the entire light fixture and not just a few bulbs.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you can obtain an AC voltmeter that has a continuity tester feature and I can assist you in locating the problem.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you tomorrow
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Very good.

In the meantime, have a good evening..........Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)