Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a single phase lathe with a motor which has 6 wires

Customer Question

I have a single phase lathe with a motor which has 6 wires coming out of it and I want to connect it to a reversing drum switch. The lathe had been previously connected in this way, but when we moved shops it was taken apart and now we cannot get it to function
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please provide the make and model number of the motor, or even better , a picture of the motors nameplate.

Also, the make and model of the drum switch being used to obtain the contact configuration.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tommy,
Thanks for the response, I have attached a couple pictures of the motor name plate in order to get all the information from it. I have also attached the make, model and picture of the drum switch.The motor has 6 wires coming out of it and they are numbered 1-6 three wires are currently connected together I am assuming that this is correct since this lathe has ran in the past like this, however if it is not then we will disconnect them.The drum switch is also numbered 1-6. If it is possible to let me know which numbers go to what it will certainly make our life easy.Thanks and look forward to your reply.Jeff

Ok, thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, I have run every scenario through the drum switch and cannot come up with a solution, either for 120 volts or 240 volts.

The contact configuration just doesnt fit the motor.

I have done hundreds, but do not see any way with the drum switch on this motor.

I will post this back to the board for all experts and see if someone has the solution.

No need to respond, it will delay the transfer over.

The site will contact you when the next expert posts.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for the response.