Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a sauna and It is hooked up on one double pull 30 amp

Customer Question
breaker. The lights come on...
I have a sauna and It is hooked up on one double pull 30 amp breaker. The lights come on but no heat from the unit. The trouble shooting says it needs 240 on each line and not 120. Do I need to install 2 30 am breakers to get each line to 240. I have 10 wire.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
11/9/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A double pole circuit breaker provides 240 volts when measured across the 2 hot conductors. Sauna's are typically wired to a double pole circuit breaker. From each hot on the double pole breaker to ground will measure approximately 120 volts and 240 volts across the 2 hot conductors (assuming that the breaker is good).

2) No, you don't require two separate 30 amp double pole breakers, you only require the one 30 amp double pole breaker that is currently installed. 10 AWG copper is rated for 30 amps and is code compliant on a 30 amp circuit breaker.

That is the way it s wired and I have tested I am getting 120 through line one and L2 as these are coming from the red and black hot wires one on each line so those lines are 120. The trouble shooting says "Sauna has been wired at 120 volts( two 120 volt lines doesn't make 240. )

Thank you for the replies.

1) I assume that the sauna is installed in a home? If so, homes have a combination of 120 and 240 volts delivered to the home on the electrical utility distribution system.

2) From each hot conductor terminated to the double pole breaker and measured to ground or neutral will = approximately 120 volts and when measured across the 2 hot wires directly at the breaker will = approximately 240 volts.

3) 120 volts on each hot phase times 2 phases (120 x 2 = 240) that you have in the electrical panel equals approximately 240 volts (120 + 120 =240). Your sauna is wired correctly. I suspect an internal problem on the sauna heater.

Thank you.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor