Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

When I turned on the ceiling fan with the light fixture

Customer Question
attached the 3 lights flickered...
when I turned on the ceiling fan with the light fixture attached the 3 lights flickered briefly and went out. what can it be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
11/3/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Is this a new installation or existing one?

What type and wattage are the light bulbs?

Does the fan operate properly?

Is there a remote or does the wall switch control everything?

Let me know and we can continue.

Thanks

this is an existing installation! the ceiling fan with the lighting fixture was installed in 2009.
the bulbs are incondesient and they are 15 watts each.
the fan operates fine.
there is a single wall switch with pull chains to adjust the fan and turn the light on and off.

Ok, thanks.

Only a few items to cause the problem.

1. The bulbs all blew at the same time and need replacing ( it does happen believe it or not)

2. The pull chain has failed with the contacts open, cycle and then test the pull chain switch with a voltage tester or bypassing it with the wiring

3. The wattage limiter has failed.

The wattage limiter is new item that the govt requires for fan light assemblies to limit the wattage used on bulbs.

Unfortunately, they fail very often and hard to get new ones.

CLICK HERE for one of the few places that can get the wattage limiters.(go to the middle of the page and you will see the "limiters")

The only way to find out, is test the wires to the lamp sockets unfortunately on the wattage limiter.

You can remove all but one bulb and see if ti starts to work of even a flickering of the bulb will point to it as bad too.

I have seen them work fine with one bulb and die when the 2nd one is installed, they are truly finicky and real problem in many cases.

They cannot be bypassed due to the danger of overlamping and UL safety.

Let me know any clarification needed or added info, here to help get it going with you,

Thanks

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician