AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Have a Dayton 5K961 series motor, about to connect

Customer Question

Have a Dayton 5K961 series motor, about to connect (reconnect, actually, after bearing replacement). The wiring is straightforward, except for the manual thermal protection, which has wires P1, P2 and T1. There's also a T1 wire coming out of the motor, and I assume that's to the stator. Line (220V) goes to T4, T5 (taped together), and the plate says other line to P1, tape P2, but says nothing about T1 wire on thermal or T1 wire coming out of motor. ???????
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Can you post a picture of the nameplate on the motor for review.

The site allows to upload pictures, using the paper clip symbol on the tool bar.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The site has three headings at the top.
My questions
My account
Logout
Where's the path to the upload site.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It should be a .pdf (but upside down)

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** picture

Let me be sure of your information?

You posted have these wires out of the motor wiring compartment that are free?

P1. P2. T1. T1. T2, T3, T4 , T5 and T8? 9 leads?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's right; a total of nine wires. I figured out to tape T2, T3 and T8 together, and hitch one of the line wires to T4 and T5.
The puzzle is exactly where the other four wires get connected.
Three of them P1, P2 and one of the T1s go to the thermal protector.
The fourth wire, T1, comes straight out of the motor.
My best guess would be to hitch the other Line straight to P1, tape P2, and connect the two T1s together.

Ok,

So where do all these wires connect or go?

All of them do not go into the motor, many of these have to go to the capacitors on the motor, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Six of the wires go into a 1" dia. hole in the motor, and I assume some (1, maybe) go to the capacitor, but the three wires (P1, P2 and one of the T1s just go to the manual thermal protector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only one capacitor on the motor.

Ok, thanks.

Sounds like everything has been un-wired in totality, so I will have to put the question back on the board, since there are no internal wiring diagrams available for the Dayton line.

No need to respond it can slow down the response from the next expert.

Once back on the open board, the site will notify you when the next expert posts.

Thanks

Ok,

I contacted my local rep to see if any information was available since I have worked with Grainger for 20 years for many parts in the business,

He sent me the below wiring diagram.

I am still trying to relate it to yours, it seems maybe a wire has changed since yours was manufactured maybe?

Look it over and since you can see all the wires and colors etc,

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I stopped by a local electrician who specializes in tool motors. He answered all my questions in about five minutes. That last diagram was the closest yet to date, but still was not correct (It would have given me incorrect direction of rotation). It's all
wired and works correctly now. Wish I had thought of my friend first.

Ok, very good. Glad all is working.

Direction is nothing with motors, that is easy swap of 2 wires and not a problem. The key is the correct internal connections.

So, it sounds like a good diagram and I will save to my database, thanks for the info

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On that particular diagram, T5 and T8 positions are swapped for direction change.

Yea, that is about typical for 80% of motors and it is noted on your motors nameplate also.

Thanks for the heads up