Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have 2 track lights on separate switches, the switches are

Customer Question

I have 2 track lights on separate switches, the switches are in the same box. One was not working and I replaced both track lights, the one that wasn't working is still not working. I put up the other track and it works, I hooked up a pig tail on the side that was not working and it works. Both turn on at the same time, (pig tail and working track). But when I try to put up the second track, it wont light.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me a count of the wires in the wall switch box, and their colors? Or even better, would you be able to post a photo of the inside of that box, with all wires shown?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I send a pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would rather send a pic right now
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

There should be a tool bar on your screen, with a paper clip icon. If you can save the pic to your computer, you can click the paper clip to browse to where it's stored on your computer and upload it to this chat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did u get the picture?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Clicking on the link now.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I have looked over the photo. Do you have any type of electrical tester?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a power tester. I dont understand why the pig tail light works but not the track light when i put that in
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Just to make sure I understand, you connected a single socket to the ceiling wires in question, and that bulb worked? But the track light won't work when connected to the same ceiling wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Have you tried to light the new nonworking track light with a different power source, just to make sure it is functional? I would agree with you that it's very unlikely the original track and a new track both have a problem within the fixtures themselves. How many white wires are in the group at the back of the switch box? It's difficult to tell by looking at the photo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like 3 white wires. 2 connected together and 1 connected to red wire. I also have a light hooked up and working right now to the side that the track wont work on
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

How many wires are in the nonworking ceiling box, total? What are their colors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 black, 1 white and 1 ground
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That's good, because it's simple. Have you checked every splice and connection in the wall switch box? I believe the problem is going to be in that box.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Most likely, a loose connection in that box has two or more wires that are close enough together to allow the single bulb to light, because the electrical load is so small for one bulb. However, the heavier the load (more bulbs), the less likely the current can jump the gap between two wires.