How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7653
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm working landlord whose converting the top floor of an

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I'm John. I'm working for a landlord whose converting the top floor of an old school into 4 small apts. There will only be gas appliances; no electric range, dryer, no 220 AC, just the bare minimum. Can I supply each one with 50 amp service?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Code requires 100A for a dwelling unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you cite the article? No exceptions or special permissions?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Art 230.79 C

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But that is for a single family dwelling, wouldn't a multi-family dwelling fall under (D) All Others?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

In some cases, it would be allowed. It is up to the Authority Having Jurisdiction. That being the electrical inspector. Usually it applies to places like a motel with cooking appliances.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm gonna give him the bad news, and we might be calling you soon. Thanks for your help, I'm not quite ready to end this conversation.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Very good. Come back when you're ready to continue.