How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kevin Your Own Question
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 3590
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Kevin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 5 student rentals, just terraced properties. They

Customer Question

I have 5 student rentals, just terraced properties. They have a domestic Grade D smoke alarm system. On a recent inspection from private sector housing the inspector said she wanted to see my yearly inspection certificate for the alarm system. She was not very forthcoming in what that was. I can't find anything about this certificate anywhere on the internet or asking around. All I can find is that the grade D system need cleaning and checking according to the manufacturers instructions by a competent person.
I would like to know exactly what this certificate this is please. Name, number and who can to fill it out etc. This is driving me potty trying to find it. I am in Chester
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Typically, the inspection certificate will be provided by an authorized Fire Alarm Installation Company. If you don't already have a Fire Alarm maintenance provider, I suggest contacting such local company and have them perform the inspection.

2) Fire Alarm Installation Companies provide not only fire alarm inspections, but also Smoke Detector inspections.

3) The competent person to perform the inspection will be a local certified smoke alarm technician.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin
I am in the UK and your answer does not relate here.
I can't find anything here needing a certificate for a domestic grade D system.
As I have used Just Answer before they should have put me through to the right country !!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No problem Liz. I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open question board.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once the question is picked up by another expert.